Why dog allergy testing is important
Trying to manage your dog’s allergies by using special food, medicated shampoos and various medicines may prove effective but may also be a waste of money as you may be trying to manage the symptoms to a very different allergy than the one your dog actually has. Besides, many drugs including antihistamines may have long terms effects on your dog’s health. A dog allergy test is the way forward if you want the best for your dog and make lifestyle and dietary choices based on the results of a scientific test.
View the full list of allergens tested in the Dog Allergy test.
What will the test results include?
- ✓ The allergens your dog has tested positive to.
- ✓ Common household products and environmental factors affecting your pet’s wellbeing
- ✓ Foods to avoid
- ✓ List of everyday products that should be avoided which include cleaning products, smoke etc
Collecting samples for this test
Collecting the sample for this test is relatively easy. We will provide you with a sample collection kit once we have processed your order. The kit will contain everything you need to collect the samples. The sample is collected painlessly by inserting a special saliva collection device which is to be found inside the kit. Read the sample collection procedure.
- The Dog Allergy test is not a DNA test. This test uses the proteins in the dog’s system to help you learn the sensitivities your pet may be experiencing so you can have a better understanding of what they may not be able to tolerate. The sample is analyzed at a specialised laboratory in Canada. There are a number of options available to deal with these sensitivities. We recommend discussing them with your veterinarian to find the solution that is best for you. This can include introducing a new diet to your canine or eliminating certain foods and medications.
- There are a number of different drugs and medications that can affect your test results and these include antihistamines and steroids. If the dog being tested is taking any of these, please do not collect the sample until they have been off them for a minimum of one week and up to 2 weeks.
What are some of the most typical allergens?
Normally allergies are to substances one would encounter around them in everyday life. Detecting which allergens are causing the allergic reaction is not always easy and a proper allergy test can simplify the job.
- Mold spores
- Dust and house dust mites
- Cigarette smoke
- Insecticidal shampoo
- Rubber and plastic
The above is just a tiny sample of possible causes of allergies. There are many more.
What are the most common symptoms?
The following are some of the symptoms that are commonly exhibited in dogs with allergies
- Itchy, red, moist or scabbed skin
- Increased scratching
- Itchy, runny eyes
- Itchy back or base of tail (most commonly flea allergy)
- Itchy ears and ear infections
- Snoring caused by an inflamed throat
- Paw chewing/swollen paws
- Constant licking
Are allergies more common in some breeds?
Any dog breed can suffer from an allergy but studies seem to indicate that some breeds are more vulnerable to allergies than others. Terriers, Setters, Retrievers, and flat-faced breeds such as Pugs, Bulldogs and Boston terriers are amongst those breeds which appear to more often suffer from allergies.
What about food allergies?
Whilst it might sound surprising, some dogs are indeed allergic to ingredients in their food. Finding out which ingredient can be challenging if you go by trial and error. A dog allergy test can make your life easier by immediately excluding those ingredients that are safe for your dog and those which may be the trigger of an allergic reaction. Once you have the results of the allergy test, you can decide on the optimal diet for your dog.
What other canine tests do you offer?
Benefit from our Special Offers
Do you want to surprise your family or friends by purchasing a dog test as a gift? If yes, you are in luck! We are currently giving a $25 discount to those interested in ordering a second or third Dog Allergy test. You can also benefit from a $19 discount if you purchase a Dog Breed test with the Dog Allergy test. Take advantage of our discounted prices today and ensure the well-being of your pet!